April 10, 2009
These are notes to remind myself how to deal with this clumsy but useful (nevertheless!) software. Eudora is VERY unfriendly (but I keep it because of mailboxes are discrete units which I can read like text files if I ever need to – not that I know of any such need so far).
Installing a fresh version of Eudora
Either get it from here http://www.eudora.com/download/
Backing up Eudora data files
While the software gets installed in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Eudora7
it stores the actual data in: C:\Documents and Settings\personal\Application Data\Thunderbird
So backup the Thunderbird data periodically. Software can always be re-installed.
How to restore Eudora when a fresh hard disk is installed
Copy the Thunderbird file back to: C:\Documents and Settings\personal\Application Data\Thunderbird
(each time a new hard disk is installed, and you install eudora afresh, it will automatically create a thunderbird directory but that will have limited data. Just overwrite it with the backup and things will get back to normal again)
Using Eudora with Yahoo
- POP server: pop.mail.yahoo.com
- Use SSL
- Port: 995
- SMTP server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
- Use SSL
- Port: 465
- Use authentication
- Account Name/Login Name: Your Yahoo! Mail ID (your email address without the "@domain.com", for example, “jo.bloggs”)
- Email Address: Your Yahoo! Mail address (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password: Your Yahoo! Mail password
- Click the "Tools" menu and select "Personalities."
- Right-click in the "Personalities" box (on the left of the screen) and select "New."
- The New Account Wizard takes you through the set up.
- Use the following settings:
- Personality Name: Yahoo! Mail.
- Account Settings: Select "Create a new account."
- Personal Information: Enter your name.
- Email Address: Enter your Yahoo! Mail address (e.g., email@example.com).
- Login Name: Enter your Yahoo! Mail ID (your email address without the "@yahoo.com").
- Incoming Email Server: Type "pop.mail.yahoo.com" and make sure that "POP" is selected at the bottom.
- Outgoing Email Server: Type "smtp.mail.yahoo.com."
- Check the box next to "Allow authentication."
- Click the "Finish" button when you're…finished!
- Right-click on the personality you created and select “Properties”
- Click the “Incoming Mail” tab.
- In the Secure Sockets when Receiving” area, select the “Required, Alternate Port” option from the drop-down menu.
- Click “OK”
- Click the "Tools" menu and select "Options."
- Click the picture on the left that says "Incoming Mail."
- Check "Delete from server after…" if you want your messages to be deleted from the Yahoo! Mail server after you've received them in Eudora. Do not check this box if you want to save your Yahoo! Mail messages on the Yahoo! Mail server as well as on your local computer.
Using Eudora with Gmail
Make sure you LEAVE MESSAGES ON SERVER!!!!
Also, you can't download email without first switching off the safety features. You can temporarily disable, then download, then switch off.
Managing Eudora 7.1 with multiple users
How does one make Eudora work with 'limited users' on Windows XP?
Problem: Error message "Could not rename file …descmap.tmp to …eudora\descmap.pce" – but you could get a zillion types of strange messages if sharing is not done properly.
Solution that seems to be working for me:
1. Log on as Administrator.
2. Drop the entire Eudora folder into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents
3. I don't know how I got it done, but the first step is to ensure that the Sharing and Securing option (right click on a folder) lead to an option to share or not share the folder. That is not a natural phenomenon. Something has to be done to make it work.
4. After that, ensure that all permissions are given (if necessary, create a 'new share' with full permissions). Then go to security and ensure that everyone (including users) have full permissions to read and write. Do that to all directories and subdirectories. A very painful task but it works.
5. Delete eudora.log. If necessary delete descmap.pce (including in all sub-folders) and Linkhistory.dat etc.
6. DO NOT START EUDORA FROM THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT! ONLY FROM THE USER ACCOUNT.
Sanjeev 10 March 2007 updated 22 May 2008 AFTER SPENDING 6 FRUSTRATING HOURS!!