April 27, 2016
Growing a new lawn – speed up seed germination and protect against birds
- Use a burlap or mesh bag inside a covered pot
- Weight it initially (temporarily) to make sure the seed inside gets soaked through
- Set the bag out to drain the seed each day while you are changing the soaking water.
- Check the seed each day when you change the water, beginning on the fourth day.
- By the sixth or seventh day, you will find little white shoots, called cotyledons, on one end of many seeds, signaling successful germination.
- Allow the seed to fully drain before spreading out
- Lets them dry on the surface for 30 to 60 minutes
- Mix with top soil and spread
Prevent birds from eating seeds
Put a plastic cover while seeds are germinating