March 6, 2009
Windows XP problems
1. Start menu not in alphabetical order
A solution is offered at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177482
(this solution barely works, though)
2. Windows explorer searches are too slow
The best way to resolve: do this immediately as the system becomes slow. Use Windows restore. Go to programs – accessories – system tools – system restore and pick a point about 2-3 weeks prior. That should generally work.
3. Windows explorer thumbnails are too small
a) Download and install Tweak UI from here
- Install Tweak UI and run it.
- Double-click Explorer menu in the left, and choose Thumbnails
- In the right-pane, alter the Thumbnail Size – Default value being 96
- You can also change the quality of the thumbnails using the slider at the top
The Thumbnail size and quality metrics are stored in the following registry values: